Vietnamese National Day is a national holiday in Vietnam observed on September 2nd, commemorating the Vietnam Declaration of Independence from France. To commemorate the celebration we share our Vietnamese Pho recipe:
Vietnamese Pho Serves 3
• 1 packet Vietnamese Pho Noodle Soup Spice Paste
• 3½ cups (750 mL) water or unsalted beef or chicken stock
• 1 onion, coarsely chopped
• 250 g (½ lb) beef, thinly sliced
• 150 g (5 oz) dried rice noodle (to cook the noodles, follow pack instructions and portion into 3 bowls)
• ¼ cup (50 g) bean sprouts, lightly blanched
• Fresh sweet basil leaves, green lime, coriander leaves and cut chillies as garnish (optional)
1. Bring water or unsalted beef or chicken stock, Spice Paste and onion in a saucepan to boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Add sliced beef; bring to boil. Remove the cooked or medium rare beef and set aside.
3. Place beef on noodles and pour soup over. Garnish with bean sprouts, basil leaves and lime. Serve hot.
(a) To slice meat thinly; freeze meat until semi-frozen and slice with a sharp knife.
(b) Cooked shredded chicken may be used instead of beef.
Vietnamese National Day is a national holiday in Vietnam observed on September 2, commemorating Vietnam's declaration of Independence from France. To commemorate the celebration we share our Vietnamese Pho recipe: